About this policy
Personal data is any information about you by which you are identified or could be identified. This can include information such as:
- your name, date of birth, email address, postal address, phone number, mobile number;
- information about your device (such as the IP address, which is a numerical code to identify your device that can provide information about the country, region or city where you are based); and
- information relating to your personal circumstances and how you use our site and our apps.
Who we are and how to contact us
The data controller for our site and our apps is Blues Match Limited, 82 Lupus Street, London SW1V 3EL, UK. This means that we are responsible for deciding how and why we hold and use your personal data.
Collecting and using your personal data
We collect personal data about you when you sign up for our services and when you browse our site or when you use our apps. This information is used to provide our services and analyse how visitors use our site or apps.
The personal data we collect when you register with BookLovers
We collect personal data when you:
- register for an account;
- provide information about yourself in your profile;
- access our site and apps, through cookies and other similar technology; and
- contact our team.
The personal data we collect from you when you register as a member and why we use this information
When you register to become a member we collect the information you enter on the sign-up form. This includes:
- your name;
- your email address;
- your username;
- your password;
- your location;
- your date of birth; and
- your profile photos (if you choose to add them).
Special categories of data
When you complete your profile we may ask you further details about yourself, such as your gender, sexuality, political opinions, religion. We do this to help match you with other members on our services. These fields are optional and can be left blank if you prefer not to provide this information.
Using our apps
The apps use information on the content you have viewed and the actions you have taken. The pictures that you have viewed are temporarily cached in the local storage on your mobile device.
Information on what you have viewed in the apps, actions you have taken and information on bugs and crashes is also sent to us. You can choose to receive notifications on your mobile device via the apps. You can manage these notification in the settings of the apps.
Who can see your profile pictures
If you choose to add profile pictures they will be displayed to anyone who views your profile page. Your profile pictures may be included in email communications to members if we consider you to be a good match. You have the option to show your pictures only to the people you have added to your Favourites list. This can be done on the Settings page.
Who can see your profile information
Your username will be made public on the services and this will be the identity by which you are known on the services.
Your name, email address and password will not be shared with any other member. The other information you have put in your profile will be displayed to other members.
Updating your personal data and your profile page
You may access and update your personal data by logging into your account and going to the My Profile page. You must make sure that you update your information as soon as possible with all relevant changes. In the Settings page you may also update your communications preferences.
Additional information we collect when you use our site or our apps
We collect additional information about you when you use our site or our apps. This includes the following:
- messages sent between members (to keep members safe, we may need to check some messages sent between members for inappropriate content); and
- your customer service history, including your correspondence with us.
- your IP address - a numerical code to identify your device and which can provide information about the country, region or city where you are based;
- your browsing history of the content you have visited on our site, including information on how you were referred to our site via another website; and
- details of your devices, for example, the unique device ID, unique advertising ID and browsers used to access our content.
Why we use your personal data
We use the personal data collected through our sites and apps for a number of purposes, including the following:
- To provide the services you sign up for, for example, sending service emails, informing the algorithm used to find you the best matches with regard to your location and other preferences, and related internal administrative purposes (such as those we need for our accounting and records) and to make you aware of any changes to our services;
- Sending you marketing communications when we have your permission, or when permitted by law;
- From time to time we may request to use your personal data, as part of a promotional or advertising feature. We will only do this with your consent and you can change your mind at any time in your settings;
- Personalising our services for you (for example, so you can log in), remembering your settings, recognising you when you log into your account on different devices and tailoring your emails based on the information provided on your profile;
- For statistical purposes, such as analysing the performance of our site and apps and to understand how visitors use them;
- To respond to your queries and resolve complaints;
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations.
Access permissions that we ask from users of the apps
When you use the apps, we will also ask for the following permissions to access particular functions of your mobile device:
- We ask for permission to use your location, so that we can show you matches nearby;
- We ask for permission to access your camera and photo library, so that you can add your own pictures for your profiles gallery; and
- We ask for permission to send you notifications, for example if someone has sent you a message.
Legal grounds for using your personal data
We will only use your personal data where we have a legal ground to do so. We determine the legal grounds based on the purposes for which we have collected and used your personal data. In every case, the legal ground will be one of the following:
- Performance of a contract with you (or in order to take steps prior to entering into a contract with you): For example, where you have purchased a subscription from us and we need to use your contact details in order to process your order and deliver your subscription.
- Consent: For example, where you have provided your consent to receive marketing emails from us. You can withdraw your marketing consent at any time on the Settings page.
- Our legitimate interests: Where it is necessary for us to understand our customers, promote our services and operate our site efficiently for the provision of our services. For example, we will rely on our legitimate interest when we carry out marketing analysis to understand our customers to determine what marketing communications may be relevant to them. It is also in our legitimate interest to analyse what content has been viewed on our site and apps, so that we can understand how they are used.
- Compliance with law: In some cases, we may have a legal obligation to use or keep your personal data.
Using children’s information
The services are not intended for, and should not be used by, anyone under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect information about anyone under the age of 18.
Security of your personal data
We have implemented appropriate technical and organisational controls to protect your personal data against unauthorised processing and against accidental loss, damage or destruction. You are responsible for choosing a secure password when we ask you to set up a password to access parts of our site or apps. You should keep this password confidential and you should choose a password that you do not use on any other site. You should not share your password with anyone else, including anyone who works for us.
Unfortunately, sending information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data once with us, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data sent to our site while still in transit and so you provide it at your own risk.
Who we share your data with
We will never share your email address with another member.
We do not share your personal data with other people or companies that are not directly linked to us except under the following circumstances:
- We use other service providers who provide elements of the services on our behalf such as hosting the platform, dealing with online payments and other forms of payment processing credit card transactions and preventing fraud. When you subscribe you will be redirected to another secure (third party) site to complete the transaction. We do not receive your full payment details from these third parties when they send us a confirmation that your payment has been made.
- We may reveal your personal data to any law enforcement agency, court, regulator, government authority or other organisation if we believe we need to do so to keep to a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of anyone else.
We will not share your personal data with anyone else for their own marketing purposes unless we have your permission to do this.
International data transfers
Keeping your personal data
We keep your data for only as long as we need to. How long we need your personal data depends on what we are using it for. For example, we may need it to use it to answer your queries about our services or where required by law. If you decide to take a break from the services and “hide” your profile, we will not show your profile on the services and you will not appear in anyone's search results or emails of suggested matches.
We recommend you hide your profile if you are not using the services any more. If you change your mind in the future, you can contact us to “unhide” your profile without losing any of your information.
If you do not return to your profile within three years or if there is a lack of activity on your profile within those three years, we may decide to delete your personal data or make it anonymous by removing all your details. You can also delete your account at any time through the My Profile page.
If we have asked for your permission to process your personal data and we have no other lawful grounds to continue with that processing, and you withdraw your permission, we will delete your personal data. However, when you unsubscribe from marketing communications, we will keep your email address to ensure that we do not send you any marketing communications in future.
How we may contact you
From time to time we may send you service emails, for example, telling you that your subscription is coming to an end or sending you a payment confirmation.
The service includes update emails, including information on your matches, hellos and messages. You can edit your email preferences on the Settings page when signed in to your account.
If we have your permission, we may send you emails we think may interest you, for example, new offers and updates on the services. You can edit your email preferences on the Settings page when signed in to your account.
Cookies and similar technology
When you visit our site, we may also collect information from you automatically by using cookies or similar technologies (“cookies”). A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we may set on your device and that transfers information to your device.
Other organisations may also set their own cookies on our site. Because of how cookies work, our website cannot access these cookies, nor can the other organisation access the data in cookies we use on our site.
Cookies are used for the smooth operation of our site. This includes cookies that we use so that you can stay logged into your account. If you set your browser to block these cookies, some parts of our site will not work.
How you can manage cookies and similar technology
You can manage how cookies are used. You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
You can usually find these settings in the “options” or “preferences” menu of your browser. To understand these settings, the following links may be helpful, or you can use the “Help” option in your browser.
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari web and iOS
You can switch some cookies off through the Your Online Choices site. You may need to do this again each time you use a different IP address or device.
Your rights with regard to your personal data
You can contact us with regard to the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- If you would like to have a copy of the personal data we hold on you or if you think that we hold incorrect personal data about you, please write to us using the Contact Us page. We will deal with requests for copies of your personal data or for correction of your personal data within one month. If your request is complicated or if you have made a large number of requests, it may take us longer. We will let you know if we need longer than one month to respond. You will not have to pay a fee to obtain a copy of your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive.
- Where you have provided us with consent to use your personal data, you can withdraw this at any time.
- Where applicable, you may also have a right to receive a machine-readable copy of your personal data.
- You also have the right to ask us to delete your personal data or restrict how it is used. There may be exceptions to the right to erasure for specific legal reasons which, if applicable, we will set out for you in response to your request. Where applicable, you have the right to object to processing of your personal data for certain purposes, including marketing purposes.
If you want to make any of these requests, please write to us using the Contact Us page.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity.
Contact us for information about how we use your personal data or complaints
If you have any questions about how we use your personal data or if you have a concern about how your personal data is used, please write to us using the Contact Us page.
Complaints will be dealt with by the Data Protection Manager, and will be responded to within 30 days.
If you are not satisfied with the way your concern has been handled, you can refer your complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
If you have a question about anything else, please write to us using the Contact Us page.